Tom VanDorpe MS, SE
Tom VanDorpe has 25 years of professional experience in green building, structural design and construction. As co-founder and President of VCA Green, he is proud to oversee a highly regarded team of green building professionals who are dedicated to providing actionable and budget conscious solutions while helping clients achieve their goals for sustainability.
Mr. VanDorpe has a keen understanding of the enforcement of building code amendments and policies of many local jurisdictions. He started his career gaining experience as a contract plan review engineer in more than 20 local jurisdictions, often working onsite in city and county offices which afforded him experience on how building standards are administrated.
In addition to his building code expertise, Mr. VanDorpe is a licensed Structural Engineer and has served as the engineer of record on a long list of both commercial and residential construction projects.
Mr. VanDorpe currently serves as Chief Executive Officer for VCA Consultants, the parent company of VCA Green and manages its corporate responsibilities. Mr. VanDorpe is also involved in various professional associations to monitor industry trends and also volunteers in several groups involved with the development and interpretation of building codes.
- BSIE Polytechnic University at Pomona
- MSE California State University at Long Beach
- Civil/Structural Engineer in the states of California, Arizona, Washington and Ohio.
- Certified ICC (International Code Council) Plan Examiner
- Certified Building Official (1993)
Professional Affiliations & Activities
- Habitat for Humanity – Orange County, Site Development Committee (1992-1998)
- ICC Orange County Regional Code Uniformity Program, Committee Member (2000)
- Chair, SEAOSC Light-Frame Systems Committee (2003-Present)
- Panelist, Building Industry Association Construction Committee, “The Good the Bad and the Ugly of Podium Construction”, 2006
- Panelist, 20th Annual Building Industry Show (BIS), “Cost Effective Design,” 2008
- Co-Presenter, Making the Building Codes Work for Your Company, BIA/OC Government Affairs Committee, 2009
- Wood Education Institute (WEI), Member of Development Board, 2007-Present
- Vistage International, 2003-2009
- Founding Member, Think Tank Roundtable, 2009
- Member ACI, AWC, PTI, ICC, IAPMO, SEAOC